0

Potter’s Blanket

This week I have mostly been eating failures of chocolate biscuit cake attempts. Luckily when this sort of thing is a disaster it’s still edible. After three pretty much complete failures I have now given up on that particular item!

On the crafting front I’ve finished my cat’s blanket, the first of my blankets in the square a day leap year blanket group I’m a member of. Some people are making one large blanket with 366 “squares”, I’m making a few smaller ones, which means I can experiment a bit with styles, types of yarn, and colours. Plus it means my blankets will be a reasonable size! This one was made with some aran weight acrylic I had lying around. I had 6 colours, so there are 6 colours in the blanket. They weren’t purchased to go together all in one item, but it actually worked out well (although at first I was a bit nervous about pink and orange next to each other!). The whole thing worked out about 1.3m wide and 85cm deep – partly because I wanted to put his name on the blanket and the squares I made for that were a little larger than I had expected originally. Good thing he isn’t called “Marmaduke” or “Voldemort”, although I would have worked out a method of fitting them in. The granny squares are Attic24’s Summer Garden Granny Squares, the letters are from a baby blanket pattern and the other big orange square is dreamweaver. I filled the spaces with some granny stripes in the same colour sequence that I made the letters.

Here’s a picture of the blanket sitting on the floor:

Potter_Blanket_001

A gratuitious garden shot (the colours are more accurate in this photograph):

Potter_Blanket_002

And finally, the “man” himself (as taken with my smartphone and filtered with pixlr-o-matic):

Potter_Blanket_003

 

0

Leap Year Blanket

At the beginning of the year I joined a group on Facebook dedicated to making a knit/crochet square per day this year and with the idea to turn them into either one massive blanket or several smaller ones. Anyone can join at any point, so if you’re interested, pop along to the Leap Year Blanket group and ask to join in. So far I’ve made all my January squares. I’m intending to make a few small blankets rather than one massive one. My first is a blanket for my cat.

Here he is:

Potter

I’m crafting his squares out of 100% acrylic as I had some to use up. Here they are:

January2012Squares

As you can see, there are one or two ends to weave in before these can be turned into a blanket. I also need a few more squares! The only square that I’ve completed for February is my “Leap Year Swap” square, which was for a lady that’s making her blanket out of 100% wool. I used some left over variegated yarn from my “Can You Tell What it Is Yet?” blog post item, and I edged it with some lovely soft undyed blue faced leicester yarn. It makes me want to make a 100% wool blanket too.

This is the one I made to send away:

MySwapSquare

And this is the one I’m receiving (from a different person):

ReceivingSquare

Coincidentally, we both made the same square, although I used variegated yarn, which I’m not convinced works with crochet, the other square (for me) has much nicer stitch definition.

If you’re a crafter-type person, you might spot the “deliberate” mistake in the square I made. Once I saw it I offered to make a new square, but the lady receiving it wants the flawed one, and who am I to argue with that?

A lot of us in the group have purchased what we call “the book”, “200 Crochet Blocks for Blankets, Throws and Afghans: Crochet Squares to Mix-and-Match” by Jan Eaton (you can buy it from Amazon here). This is the first square I’ve made from it so far.

I’ve also made a few batches of polymer buttons this week:

  • Too Big
  • Too Small
  • Great Size and Shape But Hole Too Small for Needle

I think my knitted items might have to wait a while before they can be accessorised with “Handcrafted by Skirty” buttons…

0

A Hooky Tin

Hello world! I decided it might be nice to have a little separate place within the site for sharing things that aren’t directly related to the shop, and here it is!

I’ve recently restarted crocheting again and one of the things that I really enjoy to read is the Attic24 blog. I like to look at the little things that Lucy makes and imagine my house looking all pretty. She recently made herself some little crochet covered tuna tins to keep her potted herbs in, I was inspired by this project of hers to create a new home for my crochet hooks, so there was much ransacking of the canned food cupboard in order to locate something suitable. Eventually I spotted that one of the tins of tomatoes didn’t have a ringpull (I feel the edge from the ringpull is a bit sharp, especially as we have a lovely tin opener that makes nice rounded edges).

Yesterday we had bolognese for dinner… so out came the tin opener, and the tin was washed and left somewhere safe to dry until I could commence transforming. After digging out some random dk cotton (that I didn’t remember I had) from my stash I managed to get it started last night and I finished it this morning, a nice quick project. And I can proudly show you a picture here:

my_hook_tin

Hooray, my hooks (and some other bits n bobs) have a new home. Now I just need to find something else to crochet a “coat” for…